Tuesday, May 1, 2012

So.... what's new in my garden?

Summer has started with a few new surprises and some great moments so far--- I wonder what else is in store for the rest of my summer.  This time around, I moved into my new apartment not knowing whom I would be rooming with beforehand (I've done this quite a few times and all (but one) have turned out quite well.  Turns out, they are all 18 and 19. But, I'm not worried. As I got to know them during the first week, I fell in love with all of them. They are all fun and sweet (and gorgeous) and we will get along well. Another plus is that they eat healthily just like I do. I love seeing a lot of fruit and vegetables in the kitchen.  Yes, I'm the oldest in the apartment, just by a few years, but enough to make me feel like a mother (which I'm a fan of--- I get to nurture the motherly instincts in me quite easily here).  That being said, I still feel young, and we get along pretty well. I tend to be pretty easy going with most people, so this is just another occasion where I get to use my people skills.  I'm so excited that my roommate likes to sing as much as I do. She can sing most anything, but in choirs she is normally an alto ---which is perfect, since I'm normally a high soprano. AND.... she loves to play the piano as well! We are a perfect pair-- and I can't wait to do music with her more often. I know we'll have fun with music while we are together, and we've already had some good chats already. I kinda like this girl.

If you haven't figured it out yet, I love trying new foods (either creating them in my kitchen, or tasting them anywhere else).  So, you might find me putting recipes on my blog every once in a while--- because I also love to share. :)

Yesterday, I made my first artisan sourdough bread and it turned out fantastic.  I love the smell and taste of freshly baked bread, and I just had to try this recipe. It is a pretty easy recipe, but it just takes some time from start to finish.  Oh, just in case you didn't know, (I found this out today), the longer you "proof" the dough (meaning let it sit out to rise and let chemical reactions occur) ... the more sour it will get. I don't like my sourdough to taste too sour, so luckily I proofed it for only 2 to 3 hours.  Anyways, here is the recipe if you are salivating like I am right now.



Artisan Bread
Ingredients:
3 cu lukewarm water
1 1/2 Tbsp yeast
1 1/2 Tbsp salt
6 1/2 c flour
cornmeal

Combine water and 3 1/4 cup flour. Add salt, yeast, and the rest of flour. Don't knead. Rise, covered, for at least 2 hours. Place in fridge for at least 3 hours, or up to 2 weeks.

Gently shape dough into 4 round loaves on a well floured surface. This should only take a few seconds, or dough will deflate. Place in cornmeal to coat the bottom to give it a delicious pizza peel. Place on pan lined with parchment paper and allow to sit rise for 20 minutes.

Preheat oven to 450 F. Dust top of bread with flour, then slash lines into the top. Place a pan with 1-2 cups water on lower shelf of oven. Place pan in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.

For best results when cutting, allow to cool first. Otherwise, it will still be delicious, but will deflate some when you cut it.

Besides baking, many things are happening in my life right now.  Recently, I have been working on a lot of things........
  • Applying to jobs and volunteer positions applicable to Dietetics
  • Studying my one online class: History 201
  • Reading and studying the Book of Mormon
  • Reading a novel called "The List"
  • Reading a few books to increase my knowledge and skills in counseling ("Life Without Ed" and "Intuitive Eating")
  • Cooking and baking delicious things :)
  • Playing the guitar.... and attempting to write a song
  • Running
  • Singing
  • Tennis
  • Various sewing projects
  • My Dietetics Portfolio (which will help me get a Dietetic Internship after graduating with a Bachelor's degree)
  • .... and I'm sure this list could go on if I listed EVERYTHING I am doing, but I won't bore you to tears. I'm nice like that.
So, to elaborate on my first point, I am currently working at the Food Sensory Lab on campus, but I don't get very many hours from this job. I applied to Kneader's (but didn't show enough interest quickly to get the job) and then I talked to BYU Catering yesterday and I put my name on the waiting list. I have worked for them before, but apparently they have enough employees. I hope they decide they want me back when EFY rolls around. I'm still looking for more work, but I did hear back from the volunteering position I applied for. This position is a nutrition coach, and I got it! A handful of others got placement too, and I am so excited to have this opportunity!!!  I will get about 25 hours each term, and just a little bit of compensation for my time.  This will help me decide if I will want to work towards this more as a profession, or not, and in any case, it will help my counseling skills which will benefit anyone I come in contact with who has questions about health and nutrition.

Overall, I'm having a pretty awesome summer. I get to see my friends, work, study,bake, and read a lot, and once my pool is ready... I will definitely spend some time there.

---- <3 -------------- <3 -------------- <3--------------- <3--------------- <3------------------- <3---------------<3-----

No comments:

Post a Comment