Sunday, February 19, 2012

22nd Birthday and Talent Show



So... I do other things besides think about food. This post is about one of those occasions. Have you ever heard of those college wards doing talent shows? I performed in mine last night, and I had a blast! I got to wear my sparkly little black dress-- and sing into a microphone on the stage of a lecture hall in the Tanner Building on BYU's campus. My favorite part about this is that I got the song ready in 5 days. The song that I performed brings back some great memories of my high school choir. Last night, I sang "A Wink and A Smile." Many of you may know this song from the movie, "Sleepless in Seattle," but my first exposure to it was back in high school. Anyways, I love to perform, and I had a blast. I learn a little bit more about myself and about performing every time I take the stage. Music will always be a part of my life, so keep that in mind if you're having trouble getting me something for my birthday or as a Christmas gift (you can also include anything with the kitchen or food for that matter as well..... ) :)

Here's a pic from the talent show (and no, I didn't have my hand behind my back for the entire song, just for the first few seconds)



Here comes a tangent.......
So, for my birthday this year, (which was last monday, the 13th).... I turned 22!!!! And, my family made me feel so special on this day. I feel so blessed to have the family that I do- each person is really incredible in his or her own way. I asked for a few things, and I received them! One of those items was an apple corer, which improves my healthy eating habits by decreasing the effort on my part to eat an apple. Thanks, Sharalyn! Also, I got a kitchen scale to measure ingredients with. I KNOW I'll be using that later when I have the time and money to make some incredible dishes from my On Cooking textbook...where most ingredients are listed in metrics. Thanks, Julia. Last, but not least, my parents got some music items for me that I have been dying to have. First, the Mikey. It is a recording microphone that you can hook into your iPod and it records things like a charm. I was playing with that for over 3 hours yesterday... yeah... so I wasn't doing homework all day yesterday. My bad, but I got a much needed, enjoyable break by spending time with my music. And, I also got an electronic guitar tuner, which will be very helpful when I'm not near a piano or a computer.

Besides all of the gifts I have received, the most important thing to mention is that I had the happiest birthday so far because of the people in my life. My roommates and friends prepared for me a wonderful birthday party... and a lot of my friends, new and old, came to celebrate it with me. I couldn't have asked for anything more than that. The little things count big in my book. So, thank you. All of you.

And, you know what? On the eve of my birthday, it SNOWED! That made me happy as well. Most of it melted before the night of my party, but it was there for a moment, and the sun was shining brightly that day as well. This life is a good one. Enjoy the happy moments, don't let them pass you by.

With much love, Jeannine

PS: If ANYONE knows how to put up a sound recording on the internet, let me know. As far as I can tell... the file is too large for it to go in email form, and I don't know how to upload it with blogger. My next idea was Facebook, but I don't really want to share the sound recording with the entire world.... but then again, I was okay with the idea of putting it on youtube (the only thing is, I don't have a youtube account). Should I get one? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment