Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Reflection on Memorial Day

(In response to a post by a good friend,  http://sorensonadam-eng295.blogspot.com/2012/05/out-of-hands-of-one.html )


As a Dietetics student, training to be a competent health professional is of most importance to me.  I study hard to be able to teach principles of health and wellness to those who need help.  It has become apparent to me that many of the eating issues that people have today are deeply rooted in emotional problems.  If we, as health professionals, don't understand the deepest shell of each client (but we only see just the superficial level of the problem--- the actual eating behavior), we will be unable to help our clients change their lifestyles for the better.  Once a person's basic needs are met, then he or she will be able to focus on higher needs and wants, such as change and personal development. (Referring to Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs).  The ironic thing is that  physiological needs are at the bottom of the pyramid, yet if the belonging and esteem needs near the top of the pyramid are not fulfilled... self-destructive habits (such as disordered eating) tend to develop.

Most people decide to be Dietitians because they have a strong desire to help people.  If they can join together, it might be possible to decrease the rates of obesity and eating disorders.  If they can join together, maybe they can be a positive voice in the community and share the strength people can have through healthy eating. If they can join together, people might be able to feel the love for themselves that they once felt.  Maybe, we can help them realize why they want to get up in the morning and be thankful for the blessings they do have in this country. I love people and I want to help them realize they are loved and that they can love themselves.  I want to help people find reasons to smile and to find joy--- it is a service I feel I was created to offer.
Because I am blessed to live in this country, I have the choice to become who I want to be.  I have the opportunity to study what I love so that I may be able to help those who I come in contact with.  I am also grateful for the men and women who gave their lives to protect those rights, and for those who continue to do so today.  

3 comments:

  1. Loved the post. Here are some questions to think about. What ways have you already used to get your blog out to other people? i.e. Twitter, facebook, google+, linkedin, Youtube? Also, who is your audience? Do you want other dieticians to join in or do you want to make a blog where people with dieting ideas, issues, stories, can send you their stories and do like a "guest post" where you post their experiences to your blog? In that way the blog or group could be like a support group with a balance of serious, funny and entertaining. If you just wanted proffessionals you could do like a joint blog and each of you add to it as you go and post it to all of your social networks. This way it would reach a lot of people. The biggest thing is coming up with a goal and figuring out who your audience is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I think I want to make a blog where other people can share their personal stories of triumph (especially through recovery from eating disorders), but I'm also open for it to be a place for questions about health and a place to share ideas about how to have a healthy lifestyle. This includes recipes, exercises, positive/motivational ideas, relaxation techniques, self-esteem building tips, and so forth. Later on, it might be fun to do a joint blog with other Dietitians so all of us can join together and be a powerful force for good. Many heads are greater than one. Do you have more ideas on how I can get it out there?

      Delete
  2. Who knew you had a blog? Love it. :)

    ReplyDelete